THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Charity?

The sun was shining, a light cool breeze blowing made it necessary to wear a sweatshirt. It was a good walk. Beautiful day and for a good cause. Never would I imagine that doing something as enjoyable as spending an hour or so experiencing our incredible lake shore could help out. The National Kidney Foundation had their fund raising walk today at Pere Marquette Beach.

It makes me think a lot though. Why do companies, or individuals do charity? Is it for the tax write-off? Is it to show a positive face to the public and friends and family? For that matter what do I do it for? I suppose there are people who would say, "So what if a company gets good publicity from donating to a given charity?". I guess to me it seems like if you get something in return it's no longer charity, it's a transaction. In Ephesians 2 verse 8-10 is says

"8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

And in Matthew 25:37-40

" 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "

We should be doing these things not for praise or for gain but because we are called to do them by God. It's just a Hollywood movie but in the film "Kingdom of Heaven" The main character Balian has a carving in the beam of his workshop that says "What good is a man who does not try and make the world better" (paraphrasing). I think when you read these verses from scripture it is quite apparent that it is true. We as Christians are called to make the world better. To help our fellow human beings, and not for gain or praise but just the shear fact that God gave us the ultimate gift of grace and forgiveness in his son Jesus Christ, and we owe it to him.

Father God be with us. Show us the way to live. We know we should follow the example set my your son Jesus. But we also know that because we are only human we will always fall short. Give us the direction and guidance to do what is right, and to do it for the right reasons. You have given us so many gifts God and I thank you for the opportunity to use what I have to give something to others. Please continue to put these opportunities in my path and keep my eyes open to what is needed in my community, my state, my country and even in this world. Be with Anne as she goes back to work tomorrow. Be with her and comfort her. In Jesus holy name I pray. Amen.

0 comments: