THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, February 5, 2010

Boy or Girl?


Ever since we found out my wife was going to have this baby people have asked, and I've sometimes thought about, if I want it to be a boy or a girl? Honestly I have definitely thought about it and go back and forth, never really settling on one gender specifically. I can see the benefits of having a boy or a girl.
With a boy I can think of all the things I could show him, teach him, about how to be a good man. The right way to treat others, and more importantly the right way to treat women. Play catch in the yard, do "man" stuff like work on the cars and lawn mowers and things like that. But at the same time I realize two things. One is that it's a bit sexist of me to think that our child would have to be a boy for me to do these things with them. If we have a girl or a boy they might enjoy playing sports and getting dirty working in the garage. They may enjoy art and music and love the out doors and want to go for walks in the park. We live pretty close to the beach so they will have ample opportunity to swim and play in the sun and sand.
There is a world of opportunity out there. As I grew up my parents never pushed me in any specific direction. I did many things through school, choir, band, sports, along with my academic pursuits. I have now become a young man who enjoys many different activities. I love playing sports. I love music and singing. I love taking walks and camping. I love to go into the city and explore. I feel that I am very well rounded when it comes to things of culture and what activities I enjoy. I hope to be able to pass that on to my child. I want them to be just as excited for a musical on a Saturday night, as they might be to go to, or play in a football/Softball/Baseball/Basketball game the night before.
So I guess to answer the question of which I would rather, boy or girl, I'd have to say that it truly doesn't matter to me. There will be many joys and sorrows, smiles and tears, no matter if the baby is a boy or girl. The adventure of raising a child will be filled with bumps, but it will be so amazing.
Here is to a healthy, happy baby. God give us the strength and guidance to raise the child to know you, to follow you, and to love you the way you already love them.

0 comments: